So you’ve decided you’re ready to propose to the love of your life! Now, it’s time to think about how you are going to do it and pick out that perfect engagement ring. The story of how you proposed will be told to family, friends, and even strangers for the rest of your lives (no pressure!). Lucky for you, we can help you with both of these next steps. Let’s start with some romantic proposal ideas.
Public Marriage Proposal Ideas
1. Choose a place that has personal significance to the two of you. Maybe it’s in a park, on a hotel rooftop, or at a waterfall. Once you’re there, ask someone nearby to take a picture of you together and instead of posing, drop down to one knee.
2. Get in touch with a stage manager of your favourite production and propose after the cast’s curtain call.
3. Send your unsuspecting fiancé-to-be on a treasure hunt that ends with your proposal. Start with a clue at home that leads her on a tour of your favourite spots all over town.
4. There’s the classic skywriting option that spells out your proposal for everyone around to see.
Homemade Marriage Proposal Ideas
5. Spell your proposal out in glow-in-the-dark star stickers on your ceiling. Once you’re in bed turn off the lights and wait for the gasp. Talk about out of this world.
6. Throw it back to your childhood days with a proposal written on the sidewalk with chalk on your street or driveway.
7. Gather your friends and family for a party and have everyone carry balloons bearing one letter in the phrase, “Will you marry me?” During the party suggest a group picture to reveal the message.
8. Hire a photographer to capture your proposal, but tell your partner you’ve won a romantic couple’s photo shoot. Get dressed up and then propose mid-shoot.
At-Home Marriage Proposal Ideas
9. Fill a favourite room in your home with photo memories from your relationship for a jaw-dropping surprise.
10. Tie a red velvet ribbon from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. Wait for your partner at the end of the ribbon with the ring in hand.
11. Cook a five-star worthy meal of all of your fiancé-to-be’s favourite food and propose over dessert.
Techie Marriage Proposal Ideas
12. Add a custom proposal song to his or her go-to playlist on iTunes or record an unexpected proposal podcast.
13. Have a friend take photos of you with posters that say, “will” “you” “marry” “me?” Make plans to meet up in a special spot and text the photos in order before you arrive. When the last message goes through, show up and get down on one knee.
Foodie Marriage Proposal Ideas
14. Make the box holding the ring as a selection on the dessert tray at your favourite restaurant.
15. Put together a gift basket of yummy treats such as dark chocolate and fresh fruit, and hang the ring among the presents.
16. At your favourite restaurant, ask the pastry chef to write “Will you marry me?” in chocolate sauce around the rim of your dessert plate.
At-Work Marriage Proposal Ideas
17. Sneak into your soon-to-be fiance’s office or classroom before they arrive in the morning and write your proposal on their desk or blackboard. It’s sure to be a great start to their day!
18. With the help of your significant other’s coworkers, schedule a last-minute meeting toward the end of the day. Then whisk them away to a romantic spot to propose. They will never know what’s coming.
Playful Marriage Proposal Ideas
19. Fake her out by asking for her ring size in obvious ways (bringing home a ring chart is one). When she accuses you of ruining the surprise that you’re shopping for a ring pull out the ring you already bought and say, “Okay, try this one instead.”
20. Make the ring the surprise in a box of Cracker Jack or in a Kinder Egg.
Now that you have some ideas about how you are going to propose, it’s time to figure out the ring! Don’t worry, we have you covered there too. Check out our selection of engagement rings online or visit us at 126 Lynden Road in Brantford. You only propose once, make it memorable with the help of J.H. Young.